Face it, our political system is sick! The incredible government that our founding fathers so carefully constructed for us has caught a bad case of the flu and did not get any shot. Over the years the delegates we have elected to look after our best interest have forsaken our needs to further their own personal gain. A runaway deficit and “borrow and spend” government have resulted in a national debt that can not be sustained and, if not brought in line immediately, threatens to destroy our beloved country. For what ever reason the members of Congress and the President can not, or simple refuse to, change their ways and will soon spend our country into bankruptcy.
These core values; limit the size of government, fiscal responsibility, restraint, accountability and virtue, have been abandoned by our government and they no longer listen to “We The People”. Considering the arrogance of our elected officials, I believe we need to take it one step further and not only tell members of Congress and the President what we want, but provide them with viable, workable solutions that they will never come up with left to their own means. Since our duly elected Congressmen and the President can’t seem to figure out how to accomplish the simple feat of balancing a budget, I suggest the following changes which, I can just about guarantee, would lead to a balanced budget.
- PROBLEM: Our current system of government does not provide any penalties or consequences for those who continually insist on plunging our country deeper and deeper into debt. Indeed, instead of being penalized for overspending and wasting our money, they give their self’s raise after raise, year after year. For fourteen years I owned a commercial construction company and I must have had it all wrong, I only gave raises when my employees did a good job, not when they wasted my money!
- Immediately suspend all pay increases (cost of living or otherwise) for Congress and the President until such time as the budget is balanced for three years in a row
- Each year the budget goes unbalanced Congress and the President suffer a 10% pay cut which is not restorative once the budget is finally balanced.
- If the budget goes unbalanced two years in a row all currently sitting members of Congress and the President are forbidden to seek reelection when their term expires. No exceptions, even if they balance the budget the remaining years of their term.
- PROBLEM: Another evident problem with our current system is the loophole that allows members of Congress to attach “pork” legislation to key bills, such as defense funding to name one. The primary bill they attach the pork to is normally important enough that, if voted through to the President, it is impossible to strike the pork without killing the main legislation. Indeed if the President did veto the bill in an attempt to eliminate the pork he would immediately open his self up to vicious, political attacks.
- Give the President the ability to selectively veto pork attachments that unscrupulous members of Congress have tagged onto the primary bill.
- The items struck from the main bill would return to Congress for review, modification and/or to be overrode with the appropriate vote.
- The parts of the legislation which were not vetoed and/or stricken by the President would immediately become law by signing of the President and not be subject to additional review by Congress and would continue as stand alone legislation.
- PROBLEM: When our founding fathers setup our government they clearly intended for Congress to be the Legislative branch of the government with the ability to pass new laws. This power was to reside solely within the walls of Congress. Unfortunately, the Executive Order came into existence, granting the President the awesome power to completely bypass Congress by drafting to paper and affixing his signature to the contents thereof. Even though EO’s are not laws, they have the same effect. EO’s are exempt from review or any other action by Congress (though they are subject to judicial review to determine their constitutionality). How crazy is that! Our founding fathers were very specific in giving these powers solely to Congress and for good reason. Nowhere in our Constitution are Executive Orders mentioned or is this power granted to the President.
- Eliminate Executive Orders
- If the elimination of EO’s is not practical, then require that prior to signing any EO, they first be listed on a public accessible website 30 days prior to signing.
- After signing and prior to becoming law, they must be first reviewed and voted on by both houses of Congress. Congress would not have the ability to alter and/or change the EO in any way but by a vote of three-quarters of the members of both Houses would be able to effectively kill the EO.
- All EO’s enacted by prior Presidents be immediately listed on a dedicated public website (this would include EO’s which have not been signed, but have been drafted, and await a signature to enact) for review and comment by all citizens and submitted to Congress for review and, with the appropriate vote of three-quarters of both Houses, overturned and removed from the books.
- PROBLEM: How many times have we seen a member of Congress getting caught trying to skirt the tax laws. Of course when they are caught with their hands in the cookie jar their defense is “I did not realizing that what I did was not allowed” or “I thought I was abiding with the regulations” or (and mypersonal favorite) “I just made an honest mistake” Well, guess what, these excuses would not carry any weight with the IRS if you or I were making them and the IRS would bring the hammer down on us with full force. According to the law, “Ignorance of the Law is no excuse”, and if those we elect to look after our best interest are not capable of obeying the laws of this great country then they really are not capable of looking after our best interest.
- Immediately removal from office any member of Congress or the President if caught violating the tax laws and bared from ever holding any public office again. No exceptions, regardless how powerful they are.
- PROBLEM: Another serious threat to our government and way of life is the infiltration of our government by “Secret” societies and/or organizations. For more than 60 years organizations like the Trilateral Commission, the Bilderberg Society (Group) and others have maneuvered their members into key government positions and patiently, silently enacted changes to our system and government to further their own greedy, power-hungry goals. Little by little they are working to remove “We The People” from our Constitution and strip away our freedoms, reducing us to slaves subject to their bidding. Indeed, EO 13037 enacted by then President Bill Clinton listed the citizens of this great nation as “human capital”. Think about that, our government thinks we are nothing more than a source of revenue for the ruling elite! Members of Congress and the President can not be allowed to serve two masters.
- Bar any standing member of the Trilateral Commission, Bilderberg Society (Group) or any other secret organization from holding any public office, elected or appointed.
- Require any individual seeking public office, elected or appointed, to fully reveal their past or current involvement and/or membership in any committee, commission, organization, group, fraternity and/or society (secret or otherwise) prior to running for office or accepting appointment to any office. Failure to provide full disclosure would be punishable by immediately removal from office and a one year mandatory prison term. No exceptions.
Well, there you have it. I’m sure that there are many other changes that could be enacted which would (as far as Congress and the President are concerned), “keep honest people honest”, and force our government to step up and accept responsibility for the mess they have made of this great Country. Let me know what you think and any ideas you have that should be added to this list. After all, it is “We The People”.
- Compact for America: Saving the Republic by Fixing the Debt? (tenthamendmentcenter.com)
- US Congress: The Most Corrupt and Unrepresentative Legislature on Earth (2012thebigpicture.wordpress.com)
- Sequester axe falls in Washington – but not on lawmaker salaries (thehill.com)
- URGENT: EXECUTIVE ORDER gives WH control of the ELECTIONS…MUST STOP THIS NOW! (askmarion.wordpress.com)
- Toward a Better Balanced Budget Amendment (independent.org)